5.22.2017

Bible Time Update: May 2017

     Welcome, everyone! I've been with you all a lot recently (last Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - eek!) so I'm sure you're all really bored of me. Or hopefully not? I like to flatter myself and think these posts are somewhat interesting. But I suppose even if they aren't, I'm still having fun doing this. :)



     As the title says, today I'll be updating you on what I've been doing in my Bible time recently. I've been doing these about once a quarter, and I think I'm going to continue doing that... It helps to keep me semi-accountable. If that makes sense.


     So I kinda fell behind in my read through the Bible plan during the last few months... And then I kept on getting really discouraged that I'm never going to catch up, so I wouldn't read, and the vicious cycle went on. One day I just decided I was going to skip ahead to where I was "supposed" to be for the day, and not worry about the rest.

     It really helped me to get back in, and I thought - the point of reading the Bible is to read the Bible, so doing what I had been doing was totally counterproductive. It's not like I'm going to be any less obedient if I don't read the whole Bible this year, but I would be being disobedient by not reading the Bible at all. If that makes sense... I hope it does. :)

     Anyway, that's where I'm at on my Bible reading plan. Right now I'm in the prophets... Just finished Isaiah and now going on to all the short(er) ones.

     For school this past quarter, I read two books for my "Bible," both of which I loved and were incredibly helpful. They are Modesty by Martha Peace and Kent Keller, and I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris. I'll cover both quickly:

Modesty

     This book was really helpful for me, especially the parts written by (Pastor? Mr?) Keller. I know (and knew) that it was important to be modest, and have heard tons of girls and women talk about it, but I'd never really heard about it from a guy's perspective, which was really interesting to hear. It kinda made why we're supposed to be modest more clear.

     Anyways - this book gets five stars and I would for sure go and read it. :)

I Kissed Dating Goodbye

     So I think I've wanted to read this book since I read Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris, who are Joshua Harris' twin brothers. (Loved that book as well - probably a whole nother post in itself.) And I guess I thought that of course I Kissed Dating Goodbye would be good as well. Honestly, putting that down in words, it doesn't make that much sense. But it's true! I Kissed Dating Goodbye is just as good as Do Hard Things.

     I can't really think of a good summary of this book, or anything specific I liked... Just I guess go read the book! (And in my defense, it's been almost two months since I read it.)


     My Bible plans for the summer (since I don't have school assigned stuff) involve Romans. I've tried to go through it in depth before, but I usually end up stopping around chapter eight. XD This time around I'm going to use Discovering Romans by S. Lewis Johnson (adapted by Mike Abendroth). It seems pretty interesting! My plan is to read through the section, then read through the corresponding chapter in the book, and finally answer the questions at the end of the chapter.

     I'm excited to start and hopefully I stay more on track this time! :) There are twenty-six chapters, and I'm probably going to take approximately two days per chapter. If I do that, I'll be done with the book before we leave to drive out to South Carolina for our vacation... Then the plan is to use Comforts from Romans by Elyse Fitzpatrick to go through the book again and do a chapter a day (they're a lot shorter). And I may or may not read through the book again as I go through it.

     Now hopefully with summer and more free time, I'll be able to keep on top of this. (I really hope I am.)

     Thanks for reading, have a wonderful week, and I'll hit y'all up again on Saturday! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment