11.14.2016

Piano

     I love the piano. I've been playing it since I was nearly six (that's nine years now!) and it is the most amazing instrument ever. Don't get me wrong - I also love the violin (strings in general, really) and some wind instruments, but you can express so much more with the piano.




     I went through a phase where I didn't want to continue playing the piano, but that was mostly due to my teacher at the time, and I'm now thankful my parents made me continue. Now I can play sooo many amazing, pretty songs (like this one).

     Towards the end of last year I started thinking about ways to earn money. I'm reaching that stage in life where I'm looking forward to adulthood, and adulthood comes with a job (usually - and mostly because of bills. XD).

     So... I was brainstorming, and I came up with two things, basically. Babysitting and teaching piano. My cousin, who's four years older than me, started teaching piano a few years ago, and that's what got my mind wandering down that track...

     I asked my piano teacher if she thought I knew enough to begin teaching, and she said yes. Next, I emailed my cousin and she gave me a bunch of awesome tips.

     So I obviously haven't been teaching very long, but I did want to share the few things I've learned since I started. Maybe I'll even make a biyearly post on my progress teaching and any new tips I have!

     I basically have four groups of tips:


Pricing:

     I had no idea how much to charge when I started. This really depends on your area, so I'm just going to give a few guidelines. It's best to figure out how much other people are charging in the area and base your pricing off of that. If you're just starting (like I was and am) you want to be one of the cheaper options, because you don't have much experience teaching... As you get better, perhaps the prices can be raised (and I mean like in a few years...).


Books:

     Pretty much the entire time I've done piano I've used the Alfred piano books. I really liked them, but decided to go with the Faber Piano Adventure books since those were the ones my current teacher uses and that my cousin recommended. I use the Primer ones for my two eight year old students. By the way - it's a good idea not to teach students who are younger than seven, unless they're pretty mature. They learn better and can sit still longer.

     My cousin also recommended this awesome website called Prima Music (primamusic.com). Once you get an account, all the purchases you make add up for a certain percentage off. Right now, since I only have three students, I'm not very close to the next level of percentage off, but whenever I need something, it will gradually get cheaper and cheaper. I also order the books myself and have them delivered to my house, then give them to my students at the lesson. This prevents any mixup of books.

Making Music Fun:

     One of my main concerns when I started teaching (and now, even) is that I want music to be fun for my students. I want them to love it how I love it (or close...). I try to do this by using games to help teach whatever concepts we may be covering. I made a flash card type game with different symbols and notes on them, and if my students get it right they get a sticker. I've also got some ideas for other games to help my students with their problem areas, but none of them have fully taken shape.

    The other thing I use to make the lessons fun is a motivation system. Every time a student does their theory for the week, finishes a song, memorizes a song, or completes the flash cards without missing one, they get a sticker. I keep the stickers on these little sheets, but you could use flashcards or hang a piece of paper on your wall and divide it into sections for each student. Whenever they get ten stickers they get a prize from my 'prize box'. I got all the prizes at the dollar store for less than twelve dollars... and they will last me a while!

     The final thing I would recommend is checking out this website (or any others you find like it): Color in My Piano. She has some great ideas and games for students!

Studio Policies:

     This one will be short. A studio policy basically tells the parents what to expect from you. I include pricing, missed lesson policy, information on books and their costs, information on recitals, my expectations for practicing, and what types of breaks we'll take for Easter, Christmas, etc.


     In closing, I'm really enjoying teaching piano. Besides the fact that I'm passing on knowledge of this amazing instrument, I'm also earning a good amount of money for a fifteen year old.

     Our quote for this week is piano related. It's from Bach, one of the great composers of the Baroque time period. He created these wonderful things called Inventions. (Please note the dripping sarcasm.) I played (or rather tried to play) Invention Number Eight. That thing is a nightmare. Hands going all which directions and all sorts of things... Anyway. The quote:

There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is play the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
      Easy for him to say... :) Thanks for reading! Next week I'll be posting about giving thanks, in preparation for Thanksgiving. I can't wait! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment