11.07.2016

Eats, Shoots and Leaves

     Welcome! Today I'm going to be talking about my favorite past time - reading - and what I've been reading recently. Plus I'm recommending a book I just finished called Eats, Shoots and Leaves.


     So... I love to read. My favorite books/series by far is The Lord of the Rings. If you've been reading this blog at all in the last few months, you know that I love Lord of the Rings. So much so that I did a month long series on it! Whew...

     I enjoy fantasy and historical fiction. Redwall, Elsie Dinsmore, The Chronicles of Narnia, Left Behind, Raising Dragons, Percy Jackson and the First Century Diaries Series are all ones I really like. There are also some random stand-alone ones I like, such as Stepping Heavenward, Do Hard Things, and a trifecta of books that include Dominion, Deception and Deadline that are some of the best fiction I've ever read!

     Recently I've been reading the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. It is probably one of my top five favorite series ever. I've also been reading a book called Money, Possessions and Eternity by Randy Alcorn and I've been enjoying that one as well.

     Anyway... For school each year Mom assigns me books. Usually one a week, though sometimes they'll stretch out for two weeks. This past week my book was Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. It is so good and really funny. Plus it's teaching me stuff about punctuation! Here's the back of  the book that sums up its purpose pretty well:
A panda walks into a cafe. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air. "Why?" asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder. "I'm a panda," he says at the door. "Look it up." The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation: "Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."
     I found that incredibly amusing, though apparently it's a common joke among punctuation sticklers. Who knew?!?

     Anyway, I would highly recommend this book to any who are interested in having a good laugh. I can't put the quote down here 'cause I don't want to violate any copyrights, but if you do get the book, the final paragraph on page 6 is really funny.

     Our quote for today involves reading... Joy!! I love reading!! ;)
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. - Paul Sweeney
       I can't say how many times I've felt like that... Sometimes I wish books could go on forever. Anyway... Hope you have a good week!!


No comments:

Post a Comment