9.02.2019

Making temporary housing feel like home

     Hello all! If you've been tracking the news, you might know about a wee little storm called Hurricane Dorian. It's been making its way (sooo slowly) towards us, so we've been doing a lot of prep for that - putting shutters up, getting food and water together, buying a lot of batteries, and so on.



     We've been so busy that I almost forgot to write this post. Whups. But since we're in temporary housing right now in Florida, and we'll probably be here for the next few months as we continue looking for a house. 

     It is definitely so nice to have an actual house that we can live in as opposed to a tiny apartment or something. The house we're in right now is significantly smaller than our house in California, and I can't even imagine all six of us living in an even smaller space for months. 

     Anyway, all that to say that I've been settling down pretty well and getting into a pretty good rhythm. But I am super excited to move into a "real" house and have all of my stuff again (a good amount of it is in storage), and especially to decorate our new room. I have had a lot of fun decorating our room here, though. And along the way, I think I've figured out a few things that make it feel much more "homey".

     So... all that rambling aside (sorry if that's really confusing) here are a few little tips I have for making temporary housing feel more like home:



     Here's a look at our room... Ignore the messes that you see. I tried to clean most of it up. Also, sorry the lighting is so bad in these pictures. We do not have great natural lighting in this room to begin with, but we don't even have that since the boys put the shutters up on our window. 



     Some of my favorite things about my room are all the pictures I have. The ones on my closet are mostly from my graduation party and are just people/events I really love or want to remember. I'm planning on putting some more on that mirror at some point. Don't know if it'll happen at this point.

     I think that putting pictures up can make a place feel 100% more homey. It definetly made my room feel more like home. I loved hanging up the pictures, even though picking the pictures I wanted was so hard... I had over 1000 pictures from my graduation party and I narrowed it down to like ten pictures.



     Here are some other little decorating things that I did. A lot of these things are gifts from my graduation (the little hobbit door, Scripture verse, and the "God's got this" sign) that I didn't pack in long term storage and so just naturally got put up as decorations. The candles I kept out for decoration. And they also help the room smell really nice.

     Even a little bit of pretty decoration can make temporary housing feel a lot more like home. Also, those dried flowers in the first picture are from my graduation party and so it sorta connects me a little bit to California and makes me feel like it's more homey. (How many times have I used that phrase? Probably too much at this point...)



     And then the last little thing that I thought I'd mention is just flat out organization... Even just hanging up those necklaces on the little command hooks made the room feel more lived in or something. I actually really love that little wall of necklaces. 

     Also these cube things Mom got for us are soo nice in helping to stay organized. 10/10 love those little baskets that go in the cube because you can just put all your junk in there and no one can see it. That's the best type of organization. XD (I'm mostly kidding..)

     Those are kinda my tips! I'm sure I could think of more, but those are just the super obvious ones that came straight to my mind... So that's what you're going to get! Thanks for reading, and depending on how Dorian acts and if we get power back and how busy I am... I might see you next week. XD

~ Anna


Have you ever lived in temporary housing? Do you have any tips to make it feel more like home?

No comments:

Post a Comment