11.05.2018

Tips on getting your permit

     I'm here!! *throws confetti in the air* I hope you all had a great Halloween/Reformation Day/Wednesday if you don't celebrate it. XD I got to work at Chick-fil-A that morning and we were not allowed to wear our uniform. We had to come in a costume. I wore a black shirt with a paper fork print-out sewn to it. Yup, I was a fork in the road.



     Anyhow, the real topic for today is some of my tips for getting your permit. Since I've had my license for over three months and have been driving for nearly ten months, I figured that I am obviously the expert on this topic. *ahem* At least I'm going to pretend that I am. Without any further ado, here are my main tips:

1. Make sure you have everything you need

     I don't know what the DMV is like in your state, but it is completely horrifically awful in California. (Exhibit A: I passed my license test in late July and still have not received my actual license card. I'm going back in tomorrow to - hopefully - get a replacement.) Anyway, even if your DMV is super easy and nice, it would be a good idea to make sure that you have everything you need.

     If you live in California, here's a quick list:
  1. Make an appointment - 10/10 recommend doing it online 
  2. Complete a DL44 application - you can pick these up at your local DMV
  3. Bring your social security card - you'll need the number for sure, and you might need the actual card
  4. Bring your original birth certificate
  5. Bring acceptable residency documents - I'm not 100% sure what this means but I think that car insurance counts; double check though - I'm not responsible if this is wrong
  6. Bring whatever certificate your driver's ed sent you
  7. You'll be taking a sight test, so bring glasses/contacts if you need them
  8. Also, I think it might cost a bit of money so bring cash just in case

2. Study like a (semi) crazy person

     Meaning read the driver's handbook once and take a few practice tests. XD Seriously, though - read that driver's handbook. My driver's ed prepared me like maybe 10% for the test, and that's a generous estimate. The driver's handbook is 10/10 the best thing to read and study before the test.

     Another thing that was super easy to do but also super helpful was to take some practice permit tests. I know the DMV has a few on their website, but I honestly didn't do those. I just searched on Google for California permit tests and used this website. It was actually super helpful, and I even got a few of those questions on my actual test. 

     Overall, I probably spent about a month or two studying off and on - mainly going through the driver's handbook and taking notes, and then taking the practice tests as my actual test date approached.

3. Look nice

     At least if you want a good license picture. The picture they take the day you take your test is the picture you'll have for a while. Obviously, no one's picture is perfect, but if you care about that you might want to look nice. XD I totally did my makeup and dressed up nicer too.

4. Stay calm

     Or to quote my favorite NFL quarterback (Aaron Rodgers - go, Pack, go!): "R-E-L-A-X." You'll probably be nervous and that's totally normal. Once again, making sure that you study pretty consistently before the test will make you more confident. And remember to take your time. 

     You can get a few questions wrong, so don't panic if you get one or two incorrect. Take it nice and slow. I found it helpful to pray a bit before (and even while) taking the test. God has this way of calming you down when you need it. And He's sovereign - whether you pass your test or not.

     Whelp isn't that a deep note to end on? Who knew I could be so philosophical? (It's my philosophy class I just finished. I swear I can't stop philosophizing and it's annoying.) I hope you have a great week (and good luck with the permit test to anyone reading this who hasn't taken it yet).

~ Anna


Have you taken your permit test yet? Or even your license test? Do you have any tips I forgot?

1 comment:

  1. I have taken my permit test. I think I did at one point anyhow. 😁 California DMV sounds fun...🙄

    ReplyDelete