11.12.2018

Tips on getting your license

     Hey all! I'm back with a sort of sequel post to last week's, this one about getting your license. A license is basically the key to freedom, which means its really important. XD Also, since I'm 100% in the test (one for one!) I once again figured that I'm obviously the expert on this whole subject.



     So, without any further ado, here are my tips. They're sort of similar to last week's tips - I tried to line them up because I'm just OCD like that.

1. Make sure you're ready

     Several things are important for this. First, it's super important that you take at least six hours of behind the wheel training from a certified driving instructor. Actually, it's required that you do this in California. You actually have to do the first two hours before you can even drive with your parents. (If you're homeschooled, there's a way to have your parents be the certified driving instructor, but it's a little complicated so we didn't do that.)

     Second, make sure you schedule your appointment online. We scheduled ours in late June and got one in late July. I'd schedule earlier rather than later - don't wait. You never know with the California DMV. And here's another list of things you need to bring to your appointment:

  1. Your permit - very important
  2. Something that says you took 6 hours of certified driving instruction
  3. Your vehicle registration and proof of insurance
  4. A licensed driver - also, super important
  5. And I'd just bring along your birth certificate, Social Security card, and all that just in case. I'm a bit of an over-preparer that way
     Oh! I almost forgot - make sure you know where the signals/buttons are in your car. They're going to ask you where your left and right blinkers, the parking brake, windshield wipers, horn, hazard lights, and front and rear defrosters are before you even start driving.

2. Practice, practice, practice

     Probably one of the most important tips: make sure you drive a lot, especially in the weeks leading up to your appointment. I was in Ireland - not driving at all - and only came back with about three weeks until my appointment, so I drove like crazy. The biggest thing is to just be comfortable behind the wheel. Also, a quick skim over the driver's handbook won't hurt.

3. Check your car

     Make sure that your car brake lights/blinkers work. Just in case - once again, an over-preparer here. XD I'd also adjust the seat and the mirrors so you can see easily. I'm quite a bit shorter (especially in the leg department) than either of my parents, so I even drove to the test to make sure I adjusted the seat and mirrors correctly. You do not want to be adjusting things during the test.

4. R-E-L-A-X

     Had to reference Aaron Rodgers again... Sorry. The final tip is very similar to the first. Just relax. Be calm. Have chill vibes. Whatever you want to call it. XD One really practical way to do this is to drive on the way to the test, just like I mentioned earlier. It's amazing how much it can calm you down and remind you that you actually can drive. 

     (Also, I hit a trash can backing out of our driveway on the way to the test and still passed - miracle - so don't freak out if you mess something little like that up. XD)

     And that's it for today! I hope these were at least mildly helpful, and be sure to let me know if you have any other tips or whatever. :) See ya next week!

~ Anna


How did your weekend go? Got any plans for this week? Any tips you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment