10.22.2018

My Chick-fil-A Story {part one}

     So... I got a job. Yeah it's sorta insane. I hinted at it over here on TAJ and promised more info. This is the post with all that info. Basically, I'm just going to walk through the process and how I felt/how it went and whatever else pops into my head. This is only going to be a part one, I'll cover the other part later.



     Since the beginning of the summer, Mom and I had been thinking through the possibility of me getting a job and where I should get one. We landed on Chick-fil-A for several reasons. First, they're closed on Sunday which is an awesome benefit since I would need to have Sunday completely off every week, and not many stores would hire me if I had that requirement. 

     Second, it's pretty close to our house which is nice since the time I spend driving back and forth is time that I can't be using for something else, and time I'm not getting paid for. And finally, while there's a Hobby Lobby that is close to home and also closed on Sunday, Chick-fil-A (and I'd probably say all fast food stores) is just a more interesting job.

     Originally, I was going to apply early in the summer and then just take time off for our missions trip and all of the other summer stuff we were up to, but that never happened. What I did do at the beginning of the summer was read Truett Cathy's book, Eat Mor Chikin which I would 10/10 recommend for anyone - even if you're not going to work at Chick-fil-A. XD

     So I ended up applying to Chick-fil-A on July 13th, about a week after we got back from Ireland. The Chick-fil-A near our house has open interviews from two to five thirty. I went in around three, wrote my name down on the list, and started filling out an application. 

     I was interviewed by someone named Hannah, and it was pretty easy. There were some questions that made me think a bit - like what are the biggest priorities in your life - but Hannah specifically said not to stress about it, so it was all good. 

     This site has a lot of the questions I got - or at least questions that go along the same veins as the one I answered. The one thing with this is that I wouldn't try to give exactly the same answers as they suggest... Just answer honestly and don't stress a bunch about it.



     After the first interview, I waited about a week, and then called Chick-fil-A on the 20th. I spoke with Leah (not to be confused with my sister Leah) who was the person I had my second interview with. We had that second interview on the 24th. The questions were very similar, with a few repeats from the first interview as well.

     We left about a week after the second interview for our little trip to Arizona and it was while we were there that I got a return call from Hannah offering the job to me. That was on the 1st of August and we scheduled orientation for the 10th of August.

On my way to orientation!

At orientation, someone wrote this for me. I actually
just got to write a little welcome message for two
newbies the other day, which was a fun moment.
(Also sorry for the picture quality, the phone I had
at the time stunk. XD)
     At orientation we learned about the history of Chick-fil-A and the founder Truett Cathy, and we also learned about the story of our operator, Shawn York. He's pretty awesome. Then we got a tour of behind the counter and in the kitchen and rounded the whole thing out with a boatload of paperwork. XD Oh, then we took pictures...

This is Aaron - the guy I did orientation with - and me
 on the day of orientation with our brand new Chick-fil-A
 nametags. This is from our Instagram page - @cfahvp
in case you're curious.

And then this is my picture from that day that just
went up on the board in our break room with
all of the other new people. So exciting!!

     So I'm just gonna leave it at that for now. In part two coming next week (hopefully - I feel like I shouldn't make any promises. XD) I'll talk about my training and picture dump all the photos Mom took of me when she came. There's a lot. XD


Have you ever interviewed for a job? What sort of questions did they ask you? What would be your dream job?

No comments:

Post a Comment