7.24.2017

Bible Update: Summer Camp 2017

     So as I said in my last Bible update, I was planning on doing Romans over the summer. Let us simply say that, along with my reading through the Bible in a year plan, that has been kinda trashed. I'm still trying to do it, but I haven't been doing it every day.




     The trials. I'm hoping with school kicking back up soon, I'll be able to get into more of a routine, but I'm also trying not to be crippled by the lack of routine, and really pushing myself to read something at some point during the day. I'll probably keep doing my little Romans book until the beginning of the school year, when I'll do whatever Mom has me doing.

     But, as the title says, and as you will know if you've read any of my more recent posts, I recently went to summer camp. It was one whole week (four full days) cramped with as much Bible as I think was physically possible (for the preacher to prepare... they could've fit a few more sessions in there time-wise).

     And they recorded all of the sessions!! So today, I'm going to share all of those and some of the main points I got from each sermon. You'll notice some are significantly shorter than the others. Those are the ones where I was feeling sick, so I didn't get many notes.


Session 1: Introduction

     We are in a supernatural battle - a battle for our souls. False teachers abound, sent by Satan, who attack your mind, because the way you think drives your convictions, and your convictions drive your life. You cannot be passive in your daily life about anything.

Session 2: Lie #1 - I can keep my sinful tendencies under control

     The inward evil (the flesh) is so much more powerful than the outward evil (Satan/demons). Humans suppress the truth without even thinking about it, it's a natural, unconscious reaction. You tell yourself that you can keep your tendencies under control, but you can't. They are too strong. Without Christ, it is impossible.

Session 3: Lie #2 - All definitions of humanity are acceptable

     Examples of this lie include evolution and transgenderism. The only definition of humanity is the image of God we bear, and what value God gives to that. We have no value or worth, unless God gives it to us. If what you are isn't what God says you are, you've believed a lie.

Session 4: Lie #3 - My peers are my real family

     Many kids believe that the home should be like a bed and breakfast, providing free food, a place to stay, and always free wifi. They treat their friends like their real family, and believe that friends are a right. Friends are not a right. When God gives you a friend, He's giving you a gift. 

Session 5: Lie #4 - I can discover truth on my own

     This is a big one in our world. People believe that truth is subjective, and everyone can have their own truth. This is not true. Truth is only found in the Bible. My life is a vapor - don't waste your vapor.

Session 6: Lie #5 - Life is predictably long and I have time to deal with eternal questions

     When do you ever thank the Lord for breathing through the night? Every single breath you take is a gift from God. You do not deserve to live. You don't deserve the kindness of God that He shows daily. It's such a sweet thing for God to be patient with us.

Session 7: Lie #6 - I can get by with less Bible intake

     The Word of God is active, and it is trying and wants to confront my worldview.

Session 8: Make Christ the centerpiece of your life!

     We need to be willing to accept the reproach of Christ. We need to love Christ more than our own lives. You can never be outside of God's care.

     
     That's all the main ones! I also went to a breakout session called How to Find True Happiness: The Blessings of a Righteous Life that was also really good. The other breakout session I went to isn't up there yet... I'm not sure if they recorded it or not. But those are all the main ones. (UPDATE: The other breakout session I went to is up there! It's called Confronting the Culture: Biblical Answers on Drugs & Alcohol. I didn't go to it because I have drug or alcohol problems, but I'd always wondered why I thought drinking - to the point of being drunk, that is - was wrong. And Pastor Brian - who's the youth pastor for GIBC did a really good job at explaining it!

     Take time to listen to them all. I sure learned a lot.

     Thanks for reading! I hope you have a great week.



No comments:

Post a Comment