1.22.2018

Theater

     Hey all! I'm loving this new theme. It's really made my drive to keep posting go up a lot. I'm more motivated to sit down and write. So that's good. Be sure to comment and/or shoot me an email. I really want to get to know my readers! (If I have any other than a few faithful friends and my brother. XD) I promise I don't bite.


     So today I'm going to talk about my theater class from this past semester. I'm taking the second semester as well, which is really exciting because I wasn't originally going to do it. We're going to be doing a Pilgrim's Progress musical that was written by a theater that's near where we live (Lifehouse Theater).

     I'm actually getting a pretty major role for this one, which is super exciting but also intimidating, especially since the character has his (her now, I guess) own song. So that will be fun... Hopefully. Haha. The character's name is actually Hopeful. He's She's the person who joins Christian after Faithful dies at Vanity Fair.

     Since that's probably way more information than you wanted, here's what I enjoyed (and didn't enjoy) about the first semester...

     To start off, I really enjoy acting. I'll actually (occasionally) stand in front of the mirror and act out singing songs. I've legitimately made myself cry several times. That information probably shouldn't be put on the internet, but whatever. XD

     So obviously, this class was a chance for me to act, even just a little bit. I didn't have a huge character (only a storyteller and some background people) but it was still fun to "act" a bit. I did have one of the more impassioned storyteller lines. Impassioned is probably a strong word, actually.

     I also enjoyed the part where I got to push myself to meet new people and even just move around in a larger group of people who I didn't know at all previously. I also didn't really like that part of it, but like the post on government class I did last year, I know it's good for me. :)

     Another plus is that I get to see Triniti (one of my best friends and a co-founder over at TAJ News Blog) and one of her good friends (whom I really enjoy hanging out with but didn't get to that much) basically every week. Plus we text pretty often about the play. So I've been able to develop new friendships and strengthen existing ones.

     There's basically only one thing I didn't like about theater (and this is sort of my fault) is that the people there can be very unruly and don't listen very well. Like they don't listen to the teacher very well and are often talking when she is trying to give instruction.

     This, of course, makes the class run less smoothly, which drives me insane because I want things to be as efficient as possible, especially with things like this class that have a specific goal (putting on a play) that has a specific date (the date we perform) to accomplish said goal by. I like efficiency.

     That's mostly my fault, though, like I said. I actually think this class has helped me to let go of that desire for efficiency in a way that will end up being healthy. But I still struggle with wanting to pull my hair out occasionally. XD

     Whelp! That's it for today. I hope you enjoyed that little peek into my theater career. Let me know if you have any more questions, and if you ever have a chance, go do theater! It's super fun. :)

     Have a great week, and see you again soon! :)

~ Anna

Do you think you'd like to do theater? Who would you like to play in the book Pilgrim's Progress? Or which character from any book would you want to play on the stage?

2 comments:

  1. I had no clue that you liked acting so much. I hope that you do well on the play. I wrote myself a stage play so I think it was fun to perform a play or two as the main character of my current novel. Which character from any book would you want to play on the stage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Acting is super fun.

      That's a really hard question... I guess I'd probably have to go with someone like Eowyn from Lord of the Rings. It would also be fun to be Eliza Hamilton (from the musical) but I can't sing that well so that's something that will never happen. XD

      Delete