3.27.2017

Bible Time Update: March 2017

     Welcome to my blog!! :) Today I'm fulfilling my promise to keep you updated on my Bible time. It's been going really well! I'm in the middle of 1 Samuel in my Bible Project plan. I'm almost done with the Beauty in the Heart book (which is really good!) and am about halfway through the Psalms.


Note: I accidentally posted this last week - it was actually supposed to be for this week. Don't know how that slipped past me. So here's the post that should be new, but isn't. :)

     In two weeks I'll start a new book for school. It's on modesty, and it's called Modesty (by Martha Peace and Kent Keller). Go figure. I'm really excited for this one! I've peaked at a few of the pages, and there seems like a lot of really good stuff.

     One of the authors is a boy, so it's going to show modesty from a guy's perspective, which I think will be really interesting, since I've never heard thoughts about it from a guy, just from girls.

     Some things from my Beauty in the Heart study that I've found interesting. First, Sarah was considered beautiful in Genesis 20 by Abimelech (when Abraham said Sarah was his sister, so Abimelech "took Sarah"), and this was when she was older than ninety, because three chapters earlier, in Genesis 17:17, Abraham said that Sarah was ninety.

     Another thing, this time from Esther and just an interesting factoid. Did you know that Esther was queen for about six to seven years before Haman hatched his plot to kill the Jews? And from the end of Esther 4 to when Haman is hung, it's less than a week. Haman's last day and a half literally went like this: He has the banquet with Esther and the king, goes home and sees that Mordecai isn't bowing. When he gets home he talks with his wife and wise men who say basically you should build a gallows and hang Mordecai. Haman builds the gallows, and gets up the next morning to go to the castle.

     Meanwhile, the king can't sleep, and he has the "book of records" read to him. He discovers that Mordecai hadn't been rewarded for saving the king's life, and so asks if anyone is in the court, and Haman had just entered to talk to the king about hanging Mordecai. The king calls him in and asks Haman "What is to be done for the man whom the king desires to honor?"

     Haman assumes the king is talking about him, so makes up this whole thing about wearing one of the king's robes, riding on the king's horse, and having it proclaimed before the person "Thus it shall be done to the man whom the king desires to honor."

     Then the king tells Haman to go do this for Mordecai, the very person Haman was coming to ask to be hung. Ironic? I think so! So poor Haman has to go do all that for Mordecai, and then goes home and mopes about it to his wife and wise men. He's called, then, to go to Esther's second banquet, when his plan is revealed and the king orders him executed.

     What a bad last day and a half! At least it was his last bad day, right? (Oh! My humor is grim. Actually, that's what my cousin said. But it is hilarious.) Haman literally went from this:

     "Haman recounted to them [his wife and wise men] the glory of his riches, and the number of his sons, and every instance where the king had magnified him and how he had promoted him above the princes and servants of the king. Haman also said, 'Even Esther the queen let no one but me come with the king to the banquet which she had prepared; and tomorrow also I am invited by her with the king.' " to dead in one day. Poor guy. Moral of the story: don't try to kill the Jews. XD

     Anyway - I obviously found that very interesting. :) 



     That's basically what I've been doing/what has stuck out to me in my Bible time the last three months. I'm doing pretty well at having it every day, but there are a few times when I've gotten rather behind. But overall, I'd give myself an B+. Hey, I'm through Deuteronomy! The rest should be smooth sailing. :)

     Thanks for reading... Our quote of the week is from Esther (my new personal favorite story to laugh at the bad guy in):
When Haman saw Mordecai in the king's gate and that he did not stand up or tremble before him, Haman was filled with anger against Mordecai. Haman controlled himself, however, went to his house and sent for his friends and his wife Zeresh. Then Haman recounted to them the glory of his riches, and the number of his sons, and every instance where the king had magnified him and how he had promoted him above the princes and servants of the king,
Proud. About twenty-four hours later...
Haman hurried home, mourning, with his head covered. Haman recounted to Zeresh his wife and all his friends everything that had happened to him. [This is after Mordecai was honored.]
A few hours later...
So they hanged Haman on the gallows which he had prepared for Mordecai... 
     That's Esther 5:9-11, 6:12-13 and 7:10. 

     Hope you enjoyed and have a wonderful week!



No comments:

Post a Comment