9.26.2016

Lord of the Rings: Fascinating Facts

     This is my final post in my Lord of the Rings series... (Sniff, sniff.) But don't worry! I'm sure I'll be mentioning it again soon. :) Today we're going to look at some interesting facts about Lord of the Rings. I've found a bunch (mostly on Pinterest)  of super interesting facts and really funny jokes. Pinterest is also awesome for cool Lord of the Rings/Hobbit artwork.



     So I'm going to cover ten interesting facts (I may update this...). Five from the books/related to the books, and the second five from the movies. Plus, at the end of the post, I'll share my Pinterest board for Lord of the Rings facts.


#1:

     Tolkien himself said that Samwise Gamgee was the 'chief hero' of the Lord of the Rings. If you've read the books (or watched the movies) you know that this is true. Frodo could've never completed the quest without good ole Sam! That's one of the reasons he's one of my favorite characters. :)

#2: 

     Tolkien gave Christopher Lee (plays Sarumon in the movies) permission to play Gandalf if there was ever a movie adaptation of his books. Lee wanted to play Gandalf, but decided not to because of the physical requirements for the role. Lee is also the only cast member to ever meet Tolkien.

#3:

     Sam's daughter, Goldilocks, marries Pippin's son, Faramir. (Side note, isn't it awesome that Pip named his son after Faramir?! I think Faramir is one of my favorite characters... And Pippin for that matter.) 

#4:

     You can hear J.R.R. Tolkien recite the 'One Ring to rule them all' poem. Check it out here! It gave me the chills, and I'm working on being able to have the same inflection and say it the same way(ish).

#5:

      The different shades of blue in the elves' eyes reveal which race they are. Light-blue eyed elves are from Lothlorien, and dark-blue eyed elves are from Rivendell. If you pay attention, Orlando Bloom's (Legolas) eyes are blue in some scenes and brown in others. If they're brown, it's because they forgot to put his blue contacts in! :P

#6:

     Sean Bean (Boromir) was so afraid of flying that he would trek up mountains in full Boromir garb instead of taking the helicopter. He'd often leave super early in order to get to the set on time. He must be really scared of heights if he's willing to do that to avoid them! 

#7:

     The scene after the battle of the Pelenor Fields, when Aragorn leads his army to fight Sauron at the Black Gate, was filmed on an New Zealand army field. The field had to be swept with metal detectors to make it safe for the actors and extras.

#8:

     The cake in the background during Bilbo's farewell speech in The Fellowship of the Ring was actually on fire. Since Ian Holmes was doing such a great job, they kept filming, and it ended up in the movie! 

#9:

     When Viggo Mortensen kicks the orc head when he believes Merry and Pippin have been killed (this scene), he actually broke his toe. It wasn't scripted for him to get on his knees like that, but since he did such a great job, they kept it in the film. Related to this, when they were shooting the scenes with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli running over the hills chasing the orcs, Mortensen had his broken toe, Orlando Bloom had fallen off a horse and had a broken rib, and Gimli's size double had a bad knee. The poor people! :)

#10:

     Craig Parker (Haldir) provided some of the audio to produce the Nazgul screams, which was also contributed to by Peter Jackson's wife, Fran, when she had a sore throat. 

     
     Thanks for reading, and I hope you found those interesting. There are way more interesting facts about LoTR, and I'm working on collecting all the facts I can on this Pinterest board. I'll update it whenever I run across facts on my browsing of the time-eater. :)

     My quote for the week is the classic 'One Ring to rule them all' poem. I once translated this from English to Quenya (a dialect of Elvish) and then wrote it out in Elvish. It's one of the coolest things I've done, and I really want to work on memorizing how to write it and say it in Elvish.

     Anyways! Thank you for reading the final installment of my Lord of the Rings series. Next week I'm going to cover my favorite things about my favorite month - fall!






No comments:

Post a Comment