2.12.2018

The Book Lover's Questionnaire Tag

     Whelp, y'all, I got tagged to do one of these "tag" posts and so I'm going to do it! This one is called The Book Lover's Questionnaire Tag and my friend Chinalyi made it up over at Histories and Mysteries. So without further ado, let's get going and answer these questions!




1. Do you have a specific place for reading?


     Nope. I'll read anywhere and everywhere. I've learned to block out lots of distractions so music/talking doesn't usually bug me. I do prefer to read on the couch or my bed, though, because that's the most comfortable place. XD


2. Bookmark or random piece of paper?


     It usually ends up being a random piece of paper. I've used toilet paper, tissues, receipts and other scraps of paper. Sometimes I don't even use paper, I just use something else. But that's not too common because I don't like to mess my books up too much. 

     And other times I don't even use bookmarks and just attempt to memorize the page number. That doesn't go too well, usually. XD


3. Can you stop anywhere in a book or do you have to finish the chapter?


     It depends on the type of book. Usually, in a biography or another book, I can stop wherever I want, but I don't usually do that because it's super hard for me to remember where I am if I don't have a bookmark (and sometimes even if I do have one). For basically any other kind of book, I wait until a chapter break to stop reading. (Unless it's super boring.)


4. Music or TV while reading?


     Not unless the book is really boring or I really want to read the book and watch the show and my family won't wait for me. XD I can read while either is going and just block it out, too. And I guess instrumental music wouldn't bother me, but I prefer to read in silence. 


5. Do you eat or drink while reading?


     Yes. All the time. Some of my books have Cheeto stains on them, and one even has a blood stain (don't ask me how - I don't remember). Mom has pictures of me as a six or seven-year-old reading a book while eating cereal in the morning. Livin' the life! 

     In all seriousness, I don't have much time to read and while I'm eating is a great time where I can kill two birds with one stone. I find it relatively easy to hold my book and eat so I do it pretty often.


6. One book at a time or several?


     I prefer one book at a time, but I somehow always end up reading way more than one book. During the school year, I try to stay at two books - one school book and one "fun" book. That doesn't always work out though.


7. Reading at home or elsewhere?


    I will read anywhere. (See answer #1.) I don't get carsick in the car (at least not from reading) so I'll read in the car, at home, and pretty much anywhere else.


8. Read out loud or silently?


     Silently pretty much all the time. I will read a book out loud if I'm confused with what's going on. Somehow that helps me to focus on the words and have them make sense in my head. That probably doesn't make sense at all, but whatever. XD


9. Do you read ahead or skip pages?


     Not if the book is interesting. If it's a boring book I might do that, but I'm more prone to just "skim read" which basically means read really fast. Basically so fast that I'm not reading the whole page, just a few sentences to get the gist of what's going on.


10. Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?


     Who would purposely break the spine of their book??? I'm in shock. I try to keep my books like new, but if my siblings are using them or it somehow gets shoved somewhere it isn't supposed to its sort of hard to keep them like new. So I don't stress about it, but I'm not breaking the book's spine on purpose either.


11. Do you write in your books?


     Not really. I've been convinced that it's usually a good thing to do, but I haven't actually taken the leap yet. I do highlight and write in my Bible, though, which is the first step, I guess. 

     If you're wondering about it, I would definitely check out Tony Reinke's book Lit!. It's a good book anyway, but the chapter on writing in books convinced me 100% that writing in books is a good idea.

     The reason I don't actually do it is that I don't actually own many books and I don't want to go writing in my mom's book. But even just talking about it is making me want to just take the plunge and do it. So I think I will the next non-fiction book I read that I actually own. (I'm not going to do it for fiction because I feel that it won't be as helpful to me.)

     And that's it for this week! You're generally supposed to tag several people to do it, but I'm just going to throw this up and you can steal it if you want. Enjoy and I'll talk to you next week!

~ Anna

If you don't have a blog (or don't want to answer this tag) answer a few questions from it in the comments below! 

2 comments:

  1. This was so fun to read, Anna!! I loved your answers. Haha, I tend to read in silence, but occasionally, or sometimes when I get to really intense parts, I’ll read out loud and pretend like I’m on a stage acting because I’m just SOOO full of expression and emotion and I have to get it out and then I cry and yeah. XD So, that’s happened occasionally! I don’t know why I do that to myself haha!
    Great post!
    ~ riley aline
    www.rileyaline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I do that when I'm singing songs and I have made myself cry as well. XD

      Delete