10.28.2019

Halloween Costume Ideas

     It's getting to be that time of year where I freak out and try to decide what to be for Halloween. I've only gone trick-or-treating twice (once when I was six and once when I was sixteen), but our church in California did a trunk or treat/harvest fest every year, and so does our new church here in Florida.




     All that to say, my Halloween isn't super traditional, but I've still dressed up for as long as I can remember. I probably over-think it way too much (I definitely do), but I still find it super fun. 

     So today I thought I'd pull together a few possible Halloween outfits from the items I have - partly to give you some possible inspiration, but also to give me some inspiration. Under the pictures I wrote a little "ideal outfit" but obviously you can adjust it to whatever you have (like I did).


A fork in the road (or some other pun-inspired outfit)


     I worked on Halloween last year, and we were all supposed to wear some kind of costume, so I borrowed something I'd seen a friend do - mostly because it was super easy and super comfortable. My cousin was a ceiling fan (just write "ceiling" on your shirt and carry some pom-poms with them), and I'm sure there's bunches of other fun puns you could dress up as.


Rosie the Riveter

Ideal costume: blue jumpsuit, red bandana and socks, black combat boots.
Bonus points for the little metal toolbox she carries.

     I've always sorta wanted to be Rosie the Riveter (at least in the past few years), but I don't have exactly what I want so I've never actually done it. But I think it's a really cute, fairly simple idea. You'd pretty much have to buy just a red headband. I think combat boots - or some kind of black boots - really make the outfit.

Thumper 

Ideal costume: tan dress, grey sweater, tan boots, and a grey headband with felt ears attached.
Bonus points if you can find a way to safety pin/sew cotton balls on for a tail.

     When I was searching for ideas and I found this, I thought it was so cute! A lot of these are more along the lines of "Disney bounding" than an actual costume, but if you added a headband and attached grey felt/paper ears or something, it would really work well. In my humble opinion. XD

Peter Pan

Ideal costume: light green tunic, dark green leggings, black belt, and sandals.
Bonus points if you can actually make the hat out of felt.

      This is one of the outfits I have that is a little sub-par. I think if I could make the Peter Pan hat with the red feather out of felt or something it would make the costume more recognizable. A black belt would also help. Even though the hairpiece I chose is technically pink (I couldn't find any red...) I think it would look close enough with all the green.

Lady (from Lady and the Tramp)

Ideal costume: slightly darker tan dress, maybe a brown headband with felt ears, some kind of blue accent and a necklace to look like a collar.
Bonus points if you can find a blue ribbon and some gold thing to make a collar out of.

      I really like this idea, even though (once again) the clothes I own aren't quite there. But they're pretty close! If I had some blue ribbon I could probably use the pendant piece of one of my necklaces to make the collar.


Alice (from Alice in Wonderland)

Ideal costume: a blue dress with a white apron, a black ribbon for a headband and black flats.
Bonus points if you have white tights.

      If I had a blue dress this would be a better outfit... But you've gotta work with what you got. This is much more of a "Disney bounding" type outfit, but it's still cute and I think you could get people to guess who you are.

Loki

Ideal costume: a gold or green dress, a green cape, and black boots.
Bonus points if you can figure out a way to make those "reindeer" horns.

      This is by far my least favorite outfit idea - at least when paired with my clothes. I love Loki though, and I want to do him justice. But in a pinch, this would work. It would also probably work better if you had a group of friends dressing up as Marvel characters... it would make more sense then.


Cinderella

Ideal costume: a brown dress over a blue long-sleeved shirt, a white apron and black flats.
Bonus points if you can find a way to make the top part darker than the bottom part of the dress.

     Cinderella is my favorite princess, and though her ball dress is super hard to just have on hand, it's pretty easy to dress up as her pre-princess-ing. After looking at pictures more in detail, it probably would be better to have my blue shirt under my dress. A white apron would really help make the dress less fancy (it's a more fancy dress).


A sports fan

Ideal outfit: as much of one team that you can get, with as many coordinating colors as possible.
Bonus points if you paint your nails to match the team colors.

     I really like this idea, actually! If your team has black, blue or white as one of its main colors, I think coordinating the bottoms looks super good, more like you're trying to go all out. If you don't have a hat (or prefer not to wear a hat) try different color ribbons on your ponytail or something of the sort. I think the key to this is to have as much coordination as possible - it really makes you look more "sports fan-y".


A Chick-fil-A employee

Ideal outfit: black or grey dress pants, a red polo, black tennis shoes, a black belt, a pen, and a nametag.
Bonus points if you have an actual nametag. Just don't steal it please. XD

      Obviously, I have the actual Chick-fil-A top and nametag, so this is kinda cheating for me (i.e. it's super easy), but if you have black or grey pants (it's better if they're dress pants, but jeans like the ones I have pictured will do just fine) and a red polo, it's super easy to make this work. You could even be a State Farm employee, or switch out the polo to blue and be a Best Buy employee. The possibilities are endless!


     And that's it for those ideas! Some of them are definitely better than others, but maybe you have different items in your closets that would work really well for them. I tried to make them as easy to put together as possible, so hopefully you got some ideas.

     Thanks for reading and I'll see you next week. :)

~ Anna



What are you planning on wearing for Halloween? Do you have an all time favorite costume you've worn?

No comments:

Post a Comment