12.19.2016

Christmas Traditions

     Yippee!! Christmas is almost here! I'm excited... but not as much as I have been in past years. It seems like as I get older I could care less. Which I guess is what normally happens, but it feels a little weird.


     Rambling over! Today I'm going to mention a few of our family's Christmas traditions, most of which I really like. :) I think I've got an awesome family. (Most of the time, anyway...)


Decorating

     Though I sometimes complain about the tree and ornaments, I really enjoy decorating the house and getting in the mood. It's fun! I especially enjoy when I get to set up our glass village. It's so much fun that it would get argued about, so Mom has us all rotating on our chance to decorate it. Next year's mine!!

Stocking Stuffers

     This may be my favorite. :) It's uncommon, and awesome! Every day that we have our stockings up (usually starting the Saturday after Thanksgiving), we get a stocking stuffer. Often they're small, like a Hersey's kiss or a small candy cane, but every once and a while you get a really cool one. Once I got a really awesome (thick!) book in there. Or rather, on the ground... It didn't fit in the stocking.

Advent

     We do a lot of things for advent. This year, our advent routine goes like so: First, the child of the day (we rotate) lights the advent candle. Then, we read Jotham's Journey (more on that below...). The child of the day then reads two verses from a present ornament. One verse is a prophecy, the second is the fufillment to that prophecy. Then the present ornament is hung and everyone can have a chocolate from our chocolate advent calendars.

     Really quick rant on Jotham's Journey. It is one of a series of books. It centers around Jotham of Jericho, and each day of advent you read one chapter. Following each chapter is a short devotional that often times ties into the chapter. Make sense? It is amazing. We've done all four, and this is our second time through Jotham's Journey. It is a good story and I can't wait for the next day. (Thank goodness for a bad memory so I can't remember what happens. XD) If you're looking for something fun to do for advent, and enjoy stories (or your kids might) I would recomend this whole heartedly. Here's a link.

Gingerbread Houses

     Every year (almost) we decorate gingerbread houses. It's really fun to decorate them (and yummy, when you sneak candy - which I never do, of course). A few years ago Mom got some gingerbread Halloween houses (about five small ones) and we each got to decorate our own. This year is kinda the same. I decorated two small houses and the four of us kids are going to decorate the big one at some point... I hope.

     Pictures:
My two houses... (Cute, no?)

The big house. Jack and Leah are currently working on their sides.

     Also! This year we actually get to eat the gingerbread houses on Christmas Eve with our cousins! Score!! ;)

"Christmas Eve"

     Christmas Eve is when we get together with my mom's family for Christmas. It's in quotes because it is not always on Christmas Eve. We used to have three families (my mom, and her two sisters' families: the Waymeyers and the Johnsons) to get together, and schedules didn't usually work out to December 23rd. But anyways, I always love hanging out with my cousins.

     It will be a little strange this year though, because this will be the first Christmas Eve since the Waymeyers moved. The Waymeyers have five kids, aged 19 through 10, and the Johnsons have four kids from 8 through 1. So this year I won't have Courtney (my closest cousin in age) and I'm gonna be the old kid. :) Which will be fun but strange at the same time.

Sleeping in the Family Room

      This is another awesome tradition. Every year since I can remember, all the kids have slept in the family room (where the Christmas tree and presents are). We wake up pretty early, and can go get the parents up at six o'clock. I really enjoy doing this, and this year our little cousins will sleep with us, so it'll be twice as fun!!

Movie on Christmas Day

     Every year since 2010, we've gone to see a movie on Christmas Day. Last year it was Star Wars: The Force Awakens (awesome movie, Disney did a great job!) and this year it's gonna be Rogue One. I'm so excited to see it, and have heard a bunch of good reviews. Crossing my fingers that it's good!!


     So that's some of my family's Christmas traditions! I'm probably going to do some sort of short 'what I got for Christmas' type post. Probably gonna be pretty boring, but... I'm too lazy. XD Maybe I'll throw some of the Christmas account in there. Guess you're gonna need to come back and see!! (Evil/delighted laugh.) ;)

     And finally! Our quote of the week, Luke 2:6-7:
While they were there [Bethlehem], the days were completed for her to give birth. And she gave birth to her firstborn son; and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room in the inn.
     Thanks for reading, and a very merry Christmas to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment