5.10.2016

Camping

     This past Saturday to Monday we went beach camping at Carpinteria. It was pretty awesome, and I'm going to share a few pictures from the weekend below.



     I found this on a sign downtown, and since it describes a bit about Carpinteria's history and name, I thought I'd share it:
The Chumash indian village of "Mishopshnow," discovered by Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo, August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespi of the Caspar de Portola expedition named it "San Roque" August 14, 1769. Portola's soldiers, observing the Indians building wooden canoes, called the village "La Carpinteria", the carpenter shop. 
     Here are the pictures:



 Right after we got there, we went down to the beach. The water was cold at first, but not as bad once you got used to it.





 Luke's pants were really wet... :)





 Here they're trying to build a sand castle that will withstand the waves. It didn't go too well.



 After we got cleaned up from the beach, we went on a little walk along the beach and into downtown. The picture above shows some Harbor seals. I got a lot of pictures of them, which I may be sharing in a future post.



 I think this is one of my top five favorites from the whole trip.



 Another of my favorites... 



 Mom said I should take pictures of our family, too, so I took this when we were walking. Love the expression on Luke's face!! 



 This is another of my top five. It's a Baptist church. They had some pretty awesome stained glass in the windows.



 Random fact: This is a Wardholme Torrey Pine. It's the largest known Torrey Pine in existence. Planted in 1888, it now measures 126 feet tall, a 20 foot 5 inch circumference, and an 130 feet branch spread. 



 Following Mom's advice to take pictures of people, I took the following the first night when we were sitting around the campfire.






 This picture was taken the morning we left. Mom and I sat around and read. :)



 Sunset on the beach... It was so pretty!



Mom and Dad. Mom was cold. :)



 Then I went on a selfie spree. First just me... 



Then I pulled Leah into it...



And finally all my siblings. All of whom look very nice in this picture, except for Luke, who looks like he's had too much sugar or caffeine.




 The next day we went up ten miles into Santa Barbara, where we visited the Santa Barbara mission. It was cool!



 Love the wood on this old door...



 Apparently Juana Maria, which the book Island of the Blue Dolphins is based off of, was taken here after living alone on an island for eighteen years. She died here, and this is a memorial to her.



 Lots of famous people came to Santa Barbara mission, including the Von Trapp family (above) which the movie The Sound of Music is based off of. A lot of presidents have also visited, as well as Babe Ruth and Queen Elizabeth II.




 After seeing the picture in the mission, I just had to go have my picture taken in the same spot. If you look, the columns and other things are almost exactly arranged as they are in the Von Trapp picture. 



 There was a big grassy space with some rose gardens outside the mission. I took pictures, and this is my favorite. It's also in my top five for the trip. 



 The mission in the background, the grassy space mentioned above in the foreground.



 And the inside of the tent trailer. Specifically, my sleeping spot. Yes, it is usually this messy. I don't like it, but it's hard to keep clean. :)



 This was the second sunset we saw, and my final picture from my top five. I love the way the sun is reflecting off the wet sand and the ocean. 



 The family (except for me) walking along the beach.

     Those are the highlights from our camping trip!! I had a blast, but it felt really good to get home and shower. I do not like sand in my hair. Ugg! Again, I'm sorry this post is late. I was tired yesterday, and busy unpacking, so I didn't get around to it.

     As a side note, because of the camping I was not able to post my summer post at TAJ, but I will be posting that on May 23, if you want to check it out.

     Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed the pictures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment